I must have fallen with my bum in the butter, because it just so happened that my uncle Bob, who has a very desirable collection of vintage musical gear, wanted to commission me to draw some art pieces for him. I mentioned that I was looking for a speaker for my latest project, and if he was open to a trade of the sorts. To my pleasant surprise, we agree that in exchange for two vintage speakers, I would produce a number of drawings.
Wow, when he sent me the photographs of what he has in those cabs, I was over the moon!
History of these Speakers
The cabinets are from a Marshall PA system that my uncle had used in his band many years back. He mentioned that the cabinet must have been made in the early 70's and got imported to South Africa there after. After the band split, the gear was shared between the members and my uncle came out with 2 cabs but no head. I assume that the speakers were spending the majority of their days gathering dust in the attic after that. I know my uncle looks after his gear, so it was no surprise to me that, after I had the speakers tested professionally, they were in good working condition. It's so awesome that after nearly 40 years these pups are still going strong.![]() |
| This is me checking out the cab for the first time. |
So what we have here are two speakers per cabinet. One is a 10inch and the other a 12inch. The label cover on the 12inch had fallen off over time. I know that this speaker is identical to the other cab, where the sticker was intact. These 12's are know as G12M Rola Celestion Greenbacks. These are in the perfect range for use as guitar amplifier speakers. They are 16 ohms, 25 Watt, 75 Hz with a medium magnet.
The other 10 inch is still a bit of a mystery to me with its small red dot Celestion sticker. They are made in England, so I am not worried about the quality I am getting. It has got a huge magnet, so I am sure they will also be screamers. I have attached photos from both cabs below.
![]() |
| Here we see the pair in the Marshal cab. Greenback in the front. |
![]() |
| This is the Greenback in the other cab that still has it's cover on it. |
Are these the sought-after-mega-hype-holy-grail speakers of the Hendrix sounding era?
After researching the codes printed on the speaker chassis and cone of the Greenbacks, they are dated as being made on the 23rd of April 1974 from the code DG23. Was this code the winning jack pot number for me? No, Unfortunately they just missed missed the mark by literally a few months. I am making fun of the whole thing here, as I do not really care when they were made. I do not plan on selling them for capital gain. These speakers sound awesome as they are and I am happy regardless of when they were manufactured.
![]() |
| Here is a close-up of the codes on my Greenback. |
The magic is all in the quality of the cone in the speaker. It is thought that demand for the manufactured cones of the 60's and early 70's Pre Rola Celestions started when the only factory that produced these Pulsonic Cones, burnt down and closed. So that ended the supply of that mentioned distinguished sounding cone. The cones produced there after couldn't possibly sound exactly the same. This wasn't a bad thing, it was just different. A new season in music was dawning and the ears of the next generation naturally adjusted and liked what was currently being manufactured.
![]() |
| Here is a pic of my 10 inch Celestion that I am still researching. |
It all boils down to personal preferences and what sounds good to your ears.
Interestingly enough, my speakers are unique as Rola Celestion had (Celestion made) cones from 1973 to 1975 with codes RIC XXX. There after Kurt Mueller cones were placed in the Celestions up to present day.
Here is an excellent review and history on where I based some of these statements http://www.solodallas.com/celestion-loudspeakers-from-blues-to-greenies-and-beyond/
![]() |
| My RIC XXX Cone |
I can't wait to pop the 12inch Greenback into my cab when its done. Sure they will be awesome! It will, however, have a more British sound to it, as far was reviews on this speaker goes. Traditionally the American speaker is used in the Tweed Deluxe clones, but I'm fine with being different. I will hold onto the other 10 inch speaker for a future cabinet extension enclosure cab or something. Maybe even a 2x10 cab.. Could turn my setup into a mean little stack.. but that's for another time.
Thanks again Bob!








Awesome baby! Love your knowledge and enthusiasm! Keep at it. xxx
ReplyDeleteVery imformative. Kind of makes me feel good about my age. I am also a fan of quality, so these speakers just have to be superior to the "equivalent" latter day speakers from China. So glad they went to a happy home! Looking very forward to hearing your new amp. Love your enthusiasm. Also looking forward to a "complete" set of drawings of the rarest of all the Stapeliads.
ReplyDeleteRegards
The uncle mentioned above
(Bob's your uncle)
Hey Harpdog Bob,
ReplyDeleteThanks again! I will def let you have a go on the amp. In fact, the amp was designed for a guitarist and a blues-harpist to use the amp simultaneously. We should hook a jam. Maybe give your 5 Watt Marshal a run for the money ;)
Goodness Jacques, I have been catching up on your blog, and have found all of this very interesting this morning.
ReplyDeleteIt also reveals a great deal of who you are.
And I like you a LOT!!
Also catching up and the mind boggles!! LOVE the entrepreneurship!!
ReplyDelete