Tweed Deluxe Amp: Hand-Stitched Leather Handle

I decided that a generic Fender handle would not be good enough for this amp. I wanted something unique and special as well as making it identifiable from other amps. So I settled on the idea of making a hand-stitched heavy duty leather handle and using the chrome parts from a classic Fender handle.


I started of by cutting out two identical handle shapes out of some thick veg tan leather. I measured and punched out the holes where the screws mount through, making sure the length will be right for handle to pop up to the correct height when in use. I used one of my edging tools to round off the sharp edges on the outside. To give the handle a bit more body I carved out a leaf like shape of leather to insert into it.





I then dyed the leather a brown colour and glued it all up and waited for it to dry.



In the image below, it shows all the tools I use in preparing the handle for stitching.


 I
Firstly, I mark out my stitching line and markings with this tool. I wheel it along and it gives me neat 4mm spacings.
 

Next, I push a spike through the leather at every marking and do the same on the reverse side.
I then use a single length of waxed triple thread and attached a large needle on either side to do the stitching. The thread is made of strong nylon and I just wax it myself with beeswax before I begin.






 I feel it gives an awesome finishing touch to amplifier.



2 comments:

  1. WOW!! That handle is so beautifully made and really finishes off the amp! Love the extra inset of leather to bulk up the strap! Aaccolades to you jacques - job beautifully done! Feel priviledged to be sharing it is making every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author